Encore un sujet d'inspiration?

Lieu d'échange sur les techniques utilisées en lutherie

Modérateur : FAQueurs

Redstein
prefere poster qu'aller en vacances
Nombre de guitares fabriquées : 0

Message par Redstein »

Interview passionnante d'Anthony Jackson sur Bass Player Online, ou' il explique (entre autres) comment il en est arrivé à se faire réaliser ce qui est sans doute la première des basses électriques six cordes...

http://archive.bassplayer.com/artists/jackson1.shtml
There has been some criticism leveled at the 6-string bass guitar. Some players call it a marketing gimmick while others feel they should master the "standard" 4-string before concerning themselves with a six. Your thoughts?

My feeling is: Why is four the standard and not six? As the lowest-pitched member of the guitar family, the instrument should have had six strings from the beginning. The only reason it had four was because Leo Fender was thinking in application terms of an upright bass, but he built it along guitar lines because that was his training. The logical conception for the bass guitar encompasses six strings. As regards the issue of "mastering the 4-string" before moving on to the six, consider that inasmuch as there is no point where one can be said to have "mastered" anything, to make this inane suggestion reveals the speakers to be idiots. As long as we remain seekers, never truly achieving our ultimate goals, we may as well start with the full basic blueprint and enjoy the expanded expressive possibilities of the extended range of the instrument. Of course, the undoubtedly famous-name superstars who utter this nonsense probably regard themselves as masters in their own right. So be it. For the rest of us, their attitude reveals them to be jealous, angry, and frustrated. Too damn bad.

When did the idea for a contrabass guitar occur to you?

As a beginner, I observed proper tuning sequence-fourths-but often brought the entire sequence down a half- or whole-step in order to put certain important bass notes in the lowest possible octave. A typical example would be a song in Eb: Sometimes, especially when playing with bands, I found myself willing to take chances with switching octaves that I might feel too intimidated to attempt when practicing to records. As I progressed, I began consistently observing normal tuning discipline, but I continued feeling constrained when practicing to a particular record whose bass part would drop below low E. The numerous recordings of organist Jimmy Smith were important to me because practicing with them helped give me a firm foundation in swing, but there was one piece, now forgotten, that had an altogether different effect: I heard a significant note, one I simply had to play, that was below my range. I realized by this point that tuning down, while it allowed the note to be played, caused a loss of sonority.
5thString
Mais tais-toi !!!

Message par 5thString »

Ca mérite une ch'tite traduction, non?? Allons-y.

[En cours de traduction]

"Des critiques ont été proférées à l'encontre des basses à 6 cordes. Certains bassistes les appellent des coups de marketing, quand d'autres estiment qu'ils doivent d'abord maîtriser la 4 cordes "standard" avant de s'encombrer de la 6 cordes. Votre avis?

Mon sentiment est le suivant: Pourquoi le standard est-il aux 4 et non aux 6 cordes? En tant que membre le plus grave de la famille des guitares, l'instrument devrait avoir six cordes depuis le début. La seule raison pour laquelle il n'en a que quatre est que Leo Fender l'envisageait dans le même type d'utilisation que la contrebasse, mais il l'a fabriquée dans le même esprit que les guitares électriques car c'est ce qu'il savait faire. La conception logique d'une basse va dans le sens de 6 cordes.

[à suivre]

As regards the issue of "mastering the 4-string" before moving on to the six, consider that inasmuch as there is no point where one can be said to have "mastered" anything, to make this inane suggestion reveals the speakers to be idiots. As long as we remain seekers, never truly achieving our ultimate goals, we may as well start with the full basic blueprint and enjoy the expanded expressive possibilities of the extended range of the instrument. Of course, the undoubtedly famous-name superstars who utter this nonsense probably regard themselves as masters in their own right. So be it. For the rest of us, their attitude reveals them to be jealous, angry, and frustrated. Too damn bad.

When did the idea for a contrabass guitar occur to you?

As a beginner, I observed proper tuning sequence-fourths-but often brought the entire sequence down a half- or whole-step in order to put certain important bass notes in the lowest possible octave. A typical example would be a song in Eb: Sometimes, especially when playing with bands, I found myself willing to take chances with switching octaves that I might feel too intimidated to attempt when practicing to records. As I progressed, I began consistently observing normal tuning discipline, but I continued feeling constrained when practicing to a particular record whose bass part would drop below low E. The numerous recordings of organist Jimmy Smith were important to me because practicing with them helped give me a firm foundation in swing, but there was one piece, now forgotten, that had an altogether different effect: I heard a significant note, one I simply had to play, that was below my range. I realized by this point that tuning down, while it allowed the note to be played, caused a loss of sonority.
"
"5thString, digne de 5thString" :mrgreen:
"Que dire? Une chose: un 5thString n'abandonne jamais! ;)" - Merling
:mdr16: - Acousticaster d'Or décembre 2005
wil
intoxiqué du copeau

Message par wil »

moi ca me fait doucement sourire ce genre de topic, parcequavant tt une basse est une guitare basse...
hehe, donc je vois pas ou est le probleme, un instru est fait pour etre exploité par un musicien, et si linstru est accordé au musicien, kil est 6 ou 9 ou 4 cordes, ou est le probleme?
je me demandais en voyant les basses 6 cordes comment un gars peut jouer dessus, mlais je pensais comme une guitare, or c une basse, et la jai vu john myung de dream theater... et ben lui il sait sen servir de sa 6 cordes 8)
de plus je me suis toujours demandé pourquopi apprendre a la 4 cordes quitte a pasesr a 5 apres, plutot que de passer direct a apprendre sur une 5 cordes, sachant quelle permet plus de liberté sonore...
la progression de linstru vient de la progression des musiciens, elle doit comblé le manque occasionné par un instru dit standart au musicien, et si ca passe par lajout de 10 cordes, pk pas, si le gars arrive a lexploiter et se sent a laise dessus, ou est le probleme?
cest pas linstru qui est guidé par la musique, cest linstru qui fait evoluer la musique, donc pourquoi sen priver?
moi perso jai bien envie de me mettre a la basse, parceque je trouve ca super sympa comme instru, mais si je me fais une basse, je pense que ce sera 5 ou 6 cordes, histoires de tenter lexperience, parceke jai toujours voulu voir lapproche du musicien sur des instru souvent a tort considérés comme hors categorie, donc ma foi...
moi sur une gratte, ayant toujours joué de la 6 cordes,je trouve que le manche multidiapason ou lajou dune 7eme corde peuit etre super sympa, parceque je trouve que des fois ca serait bien de pouvoir descen,dre plus ds les graves...
maintenant, chacun son avis, mais le principal cest dereespecter les desirs, les reves et la volonté des musicien anticonformistes, et des vrais musicien, ceux qui créent, et pas ceux qui repiquent...
Répondre